The home theater receiver is the heart of any system, and even affordable surround receivers are packed with features these days.
All the familiar names are here – Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, and Onkyo.
Even the cheapest receivers support 4k video and along with amplification for five channels – front left and right, surround left and right, and center – plus a subwoofer.
As you move up in price, expect support for additional channels (7.1, 9.1, and more), support for dual subwoofers, room correction, beefier amplifier sections, and line-level outputs for adding external amplification.
If at all possible, listen to a variety of receivers with your speakers to make sure the receiver is capable of driving your speakers to a satisfying level. Watt ratings don’t always tell the whole story.
Look for online retailers that offer a generous return policy, so that if you aren’t satisfied with your purchase, return the product for a refund or upgrade.
Whether you’re looking for a basic A/V home theater surround receiver or something higher-end, we’ve got you covered.
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater 5 Channel AV Receivers Under $300
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater 7 Channel AV Receivers Under $400 2019
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater 9 Channel AV Receivers Under $1000 2019
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater Denon AV Receivers
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater Marantz AV Receivers
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater Pioneer AV Receivers
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater Receivers Under $500
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater Sony AV Receivers 2019
- Top 10 Budget Home Theater Yamaha AV Receivers
- Top 10 Home Theater Receivers Under $1000
- Top 10 Onkyo A/V Surround Sound Receivers
Looking for high value in a non-HDMI pre-pro? Check out our review of the Lexicon DM-8 Home Theater Preamp-processor.